Bellevue Hill Public School

Empowering tomorrow's leaders

Telephone02 9389 3928

Absences and attendance

Missing school means your child misses out on vital information and maintaining learning routines. This can result in a loss of confidence and missing out on forming vital friendships.

Attendance is recorded each day. As a parent or caregiver you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day, including sports days unless your child:

  • has an unavoidable medical or dental appointment (preferably these should be made after school or during holidays)
  • is required to attend a recognised religious holiday
  • is required to attend an exceptional or urgent family circumstance (such as attending a funeral)
  • is sick, or has an infectious illness.

If you are having difficulty getting your child to attend school regularly, you might like to talk to the school principal or the school counsellor.

Late notes

If your child is late to school you will need to accompany them to the School Office before they join their class. Their late attendance will be recorded and a late slip printed out, which is to be given to the class teacher by the child.

Early departures

If you need to collect your child from school early, please go to the school office to sign them out first. You will be given an early leaver slip to give to the child’s teacher.

If someone other than the child’s parent is collecting the child from school early, please send written permission with the child to school, stating who is collecting the child and why, or alternatively please email the office staff via to let them.


If your child is unwell and/or unable to attend school you must provide their teacher with a written explanation of their absence within seven days. The easiest way to do this is via the skoolbag app. Go to e-forms – select Absentee form and fill in the details. This will be passed on to your child’s teacher and is counted as an official written explanation.

Travel during school term

Families are encouraged to travel or holiday during school holidays. If this is not possible, you will need to download, fill out and email back an Application for Extended Leave form, or eligibility to enrol in Distance Education. Where the principal considers that the travel is appropriate a Certificate of Extended Leave will be issued. Absences relating to travel will be marked as leave on the roll and contribute to your child's total absences for the year.